EXPANDED AND SUSTAINED ACCESS TO FINANCIAL SERVICES (ESAF)
- MFI Commercialization – Assisting three microfinance institutions in streamlining operations, pricing products competitively, developing their human resources capacity and preparing for commercialization, while continuing to serve underbanked populations. Developing the strategy and business plan for the Palestinian apex institution to enable it to support the development of MFIs and the sector at the conclusion of donor support. Facilitated international knowledge exchange trips for two MFIs.
- Bank Downscaling – Strengthening the internal systems, credit processes, bank staff’s microfinance skills, designed incentive programs and strategic planning for two microfinance departments. Assisting banks in preparing for new regulations, including M&A strategy. Established microfinance department at commercial bank.
- Savings – Assisting two banks to increase deposit mobilization through new product development, customer segmentation, market research, customer service training, and marketing. Piloted and launched youth savings product. In partnership with Save the Children and AED, developed IDA product with matching deposits to encourage savings for the unbanked in Gaza through two partner banks.
- Technology – In cooperation with the Association of Banks in Palestine, conducting a feasibility study for the establishment of a banking services company and establishment of a national switch and payments platform. Assisting banks in utilizing technology to increase customer outreach through data mining and customer segmentation. Worked with the Palestinian Monetary Authority, financial institutions, telecommunications providers and other industry players to conduct assessments of the regulatory constraints and bank and customer acceptability of e-banking.
- Strategy, MIS/IT, training, savings product development, marketing, Board mentoring, M&A, credit scoring, data mining, risk management, policies and procedures, costing, HR management, internal audit and control, exchange trips, loan product development, investment readiness and transformation planning, branchless banking, market assessment, customer service, portfolio segmentation.
RESULTS (as of January 2011)
- 11,745 loans disbursed to micro and small enterprises
- $42,527,164 in loans disbursed
- 19,445 jobs created and/or sustained
- 3,359 new IDA savings accounts opened
- $300,000+ in deposits mobilized
- 275+ bank, MFI and industry staff trained
- 2 MFIs secured commercial funding
- 1 microfinance unit established
- 1 new savings product piloted and launched
- First national microfinance salary survey conducted